Nextgen is about new graphics, gameplay, or modern technology? In what game is this nextgen most noticeable today?
Answer from: Ivan Vorobyov:
I have a natural science background, as a teenager I was addicted to literature...
"NEXTGEN" translated - "Next Generation". In the game industry, this term refers to projects in which a certain aspect is better than any other game. What hasn't been seen before.
Most often it is the graphical components: Lighting, quality of models, animations, effects, picture in general. However, there are other indicators.
For example, thanks to the Euphoria physics engine, GTA 4 has procedural animation and realistic character physics. This has never been done before in a game of this level and it was something new. The game also had advanced graphics (although not the best), and not bad direction. So we can say about this game "Nextgen".
To date, we can call, say, Last Of Us 2, in which the graphics a decent level, a very good system of animation characters, as well as an interesting AI. Moreover, the game is well put in terms of directing, and all this on a console with not very powerful iron.
I want to draw attention to the fact that the term is rarely applied to games of small genre, even if they have advanced technology. The term is still more used to big-budget games (so-called AAA games).
- Why PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X received the SSD only now, since this technology was available to the last generation of consoles?
- How to create in the game a gameplay that would cause a desire to go back to it and continue to play even after a considerable amount of time?
- What is the most successful way for a player to get involved in the game?
- How do you personally feel about scandals with video game developers (not companies)? Would you buy to play games made by these people?
- How do you see the game industry in the future: in 5, in 10 years?